If you’ve been looking for the best lemon extract recipe, then this one is it! Making your own lemon extract is easy since it only requires a few ingredients; lemons and vodka! Scroll on down to learn about how to make lemon extract with this simple recipe.
How to Make Lemon Extract at Home
Making homemade extracts is easy and fun! My family loves to make homemade vanilla extract with vanilla beans using the same method described below! To make lemon extract at home you will need three to four fresh lemons organic is better but any will work, vodka, a zester and a glass jar with a lid.
Zest the Lemon or Peel the Lemon
You will need three to four lemons on hand to make this extract. You can choose to zest the lemon rinds with a zester (my preferred method) or simply peel the lemons.
Add to Jar
Next, add the lemon peels or zest of the lemons into a jar. I used an 8 oz. maple syrup jar with a lid because I find it is easier to pour the lemon extract when it is needed in recipes.
Add vodka until you reach the top of the jar. Close the lid tightly.
Now let it sit. You will need to wait about 4 to 8 weeks for the lemon to completely infuse into the vodka to make a lemon extract that is perfect!
- 3-4 Large Lemons Organic lemons will work too
- Clean and zest the outside of the lemons
- Add the zest to the glass jar
- Fill the glass jar with Vodka
- Seal the jar tightly and store for 4 – 8 weeks
- You can use lemon peels instead of zest if it is preferred.
- You can add more zest or lemon peels to the vodka at any time to get the perfect citrus flavor of your liking.
Once the time has passed, and you have a pure lemon extract, you can make some lemon recipes below from fellow bloggers that I found!
Recipes With Lemon Extract
Use these lemon extract recipe ideas to make a fresh and lemony dessert!