You may have asked yourself, why do recipes ask me to peel peppers? Well, recipes will have you peel peppers because it softens them, makes them able to better absorb flavors, and the skins aren’t needed for a flavorful pepper.
This tutorial about how to take the skin off peppers is good for all varieties of peppers such as poblano, jalapeños and bell peppers using an oven. Scroll down after the tutorial to learn about other methods to remove skin from peppers too!
How to Peel Peppers with an Oven
Follow the steps to learn how to peel all varieties of peppers easily, so you can make the perfect oven-roasted peppers!
- Heat the oven to 350°
- Place the peppers on a baking sheet lined with foil in the oven close to the broiler (or lay them over the flames of a gas burner)
- Using tongs, turn them as they start charring for 15-20 minutes
- When the peppers are completely black, remove them from the flames.
- Place them in a food safe bag or bowl with lid and tightly close for 10 minutes.
- When they are cool, remove stems, seeds and skin.
- Do not wash the peppers after peeling
- When peeling hot peppers, make sure to wear gloves and keep your hands away from your face and eyes.
- Depending on the size of the pepper, the roasting over the flames process may be shorter or longer.
How to Peel Peppers with a Microwave
To be able to use the microwave to peel peppers, you will first need to cut open the peppers, remove the seeds and cut into strips. Second, place the peppers in a microwave container and heat for 3-4 minutes. Next, place the peppers in a paper bag that is tightly sealed for 10 minutes. Finally, remove the cooled peppers from the bag and remove the skin.
The Steps to Remove Skin off a Pepper in a Microwave
- Cut open pepper to remove seeds and stems
- Cut in strips
- Cook in microwave safe container for 3-4 minutes
- Place in sealed bag for 10 minutes
- Remove from bag and peel the skin off the pepper.
How to Peel Peppers with A Grill
To peel peppers with a grill, you will place the peppers over the open flame, turning frequently until roasted black for approximately 10 – 15 minutes. Next, place them in a sealed bag or bowl for 10 minutes. Finally, remove the stems, seeds and skin.
The Steps to Remove Skin off a Pepper with a Grill
- Place peppers on a hot grill until the skins turn black and blister, turning frequently for 10-15 minutes.
- Remove the peppers and place them in a paper or bowl with lid to keep the steam in for about 10 minutes.
- Remove from the bag and peel the skins, remove the seeds, membranes, and stems.